Wednesday 17 March 2010

What a hoot!

As I stated in a blog in January, I had acquired a Klaxon horn at what I considered a reasonable price off flea bay and described how I had made a start on it’s preparation for restoration to Minnow’s standards. I had also mentioned earlier about having access to an engineering apprentice training centre who have done a brilliant job on the handle and the mounting bracket. When I went into work last week, one of the instructors presented me with the finished Klaxon and so It just remained for me to complete then paint job.

The Handle

A piece of 6mm thick aluminium marked out, cut and filed to profile then drilled each end and tapped to take the required whitworth threads. After tapping, the handle was cranked by bending the ends in a folding machine. An old file handle was drilled and counter bored to take a cap head bolt to fix it to the rest of the handle.

The mounting bracket.

A template was made using the existing klaxon for the mounting bracket. This was cut and profiled out of a piece of 6mm thick brass plate, after drilling and tapping it was fitted to the klaxon. (Still haven’t decided yet whether to polish or paint it!)

I have repeated a couple of the photos that I had posted before just for the story board.

As bought with many layers of paint and a very strange handle arrangement
After a day spent scraping paint off and rubbing down

After the first top coat.

And here it is, the final result, polished, painted and ready to go


And so I am now looking forward to going down the boat this weekend and fitting it – then giving it a blast

when we are out and about.

As always

Don’t bang ‘em about.

Blossom


No comments:

Post a Comment