Wednesday 31 March 2010

Happy Eostre

Starting to get a bit twitchy now as the holidays approach. Originally we were taking Minnow down to Coventry Basin for the alternative historic boat gathering but, as the cabin top has took a bit of a battering this winter and as I am a bit of a stickler for presentation of boats then a decision was made not to go but instead to spend time down the moorings working on Minnow instead. For some reason, and I have never experienced this before, the varnish has completely lifted off the graining in great big areas all over the cabin top, and yet none of it has lifted off the central panel of painted diamonds down the centre of the cabin even though they were varnished at the same time as the graining!. The graining and varnishing were done the summer of 2008 when the weather was perfect for painting being warm and dry, the paints I used were Ratcliffe`s Graining Products and International’s Yacht Varnish so I just don’t understand why the varnish should completely detach itself from the surface of the graining and peel off, don’t know if it is anything to do with the prolonged snow covering and freezing temperatures that caused it but what I do know is that I have got to get it right back to the undercoating and start all over again (oh bugger)

I have a whole list of jobs I need to get done as well including fitting my Klaxon and lots of various painting and tarting up jobs so I will be down at Minnow from Friday through to Tuesday so this will probably be my last post until at least Wednesday next week when I should have some more to blog about, so until then

Don’t bang ‘em about

Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment