Friday 26 February 2010

Bucket 'N' Chucket

Up until about four years ago, there used to be a garage next door to where I live and I got on great with the owner and the staff there. When they closed down, I had had my eye on a couple of the old galvanised fire buckets with fitted lids, which were kept out the back so I asked if I could have them as I thought that they might come in handy for something at some point. They have been in my garden shed for the last 4 years, untouched, then the other day I suddenly had an idea as to a use I could put one of them – a ‘bucket and chucket’ for an engine ‘ole. Not for mine however as I already have one.

And so I set about it’s transformation, spending one weekend in the shed armed with an old wood chisel, a section of old broken machine saw blade, a kitchen knife (which Dawn does not know about, well she didn’t) and emery cloth and wet and dry. It took forever to remove the years of red paint, as the garage undertook paint spraying they must have repainted them every year for the last 50 years! In places the paint must have been hundreds of layers thick amounting to a layer of at least 2mm in places. After scraping off then smoothing out it was simply a case of painting. I think the pictures are fairly self explanatory without any need for descriptions in any Depth.

Fire bucket as retrieved from garden shed still with hundreds of layers of red paint


Bucket after much scraping and a scrubbing and finally down to the actual galvanised bucket!
The lid with the backgrounds for the roses, daises and leaves
The finished lid. (The words speak for themselves)
The sky and sea base for the background of a castle.
The sun rising over the mountains, clouds and land mass.
Trees, grass and of cause red tarmac!
Castle foundations, brick walls and a bridge.
Doors, windows, roof and flag.



These final two shots show the finished 'bucket 'n' chucket' hopefully it will take pride of place in someone's engine 'ole. As I have not told the person concerned yet or had chance to give the bucket to them I will keep it a secret for the moment, as I have made sure there are no hints!

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a transformation! It looks superb. And you have shown us how to do it too. Well, almost! I think we can predict the reaction of a certain "woman"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blossom! I think I love you. How did you know that's where my thoughts have been dwelling of late? Honestly, that has brought a tear to my eye. I cannot believe the kindness and generosity of some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an absolute gent Blossom. Had I have know before last weekend I could have saved Sarah's money and not gone to Phil's fun weekend. In any event what great painting..... and yes she will use it :)

    PB

    ReplyDelete
  4. the missing 'n'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, when you empty it don't let go...like Andrea did ours. I'm down to my last BR galvy bucket now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah & Jim.
    Hope you don't mind me doing that, just thought of Chertsey's fit out and no working boat should be without one! When I started it, a couple of weeks ago now, I did not know about Jim's 'trip' up to the 'Black shed' it will be here waiting for your arrival. Yes it is functional, but at some point in it's life, it's been used as air gun target practice and there is a small hole about half way up so you will just have to watch how much you fill it in the night! Sarah, I'm sure it could be plugged with a bit of epoxy resin or similar. All I genuinely ask is that you both receive it in the way it was meant and I DO NOT wan't anything for it and will be offended if you did so don't even try! (perhaps a pint or two of Guinness over a chat at some point) I just get the pleasure from painting and giving to good homes so to speak. Jim I hope you are not put out by me painting this after you have just been on your course with, who I rate, as the best modern day 'boat painter'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I will use it! (I won't let anyone else though.) I am incredibly touched. That is one of the loveliest things anyone has ever given me.

    ReplyDelete